Running a business that is as “green” as possible is as important for Hi-Level Mezzanines as it is for our clients.
Whether it is retrofitting buildings to avoid the CO2 emissions that come from new construction, or operating an all-electric fleet of company cars, we are playing our part in tackling climate change.
Of course, our mezzanines are built using steel and steel has a high carbon footprint. It’s an “inconvenient truth” we want to be honest about. The steel industry is, however, improving its performance and we are taking our own action:
- Every Hi-Level project is value engineered to minimise the amount of steel used – not only does this have an environmental benefit, but also a cost benefit to our clients.
- Steel is 100% recyclable and all ‘new’ steel contains a recycled amount.
- It is ‘the world’s most recycled material’ according to British Steel, which has a Low-Carbon Roadmap to deliver net zero steel by 2050.
- Tata Steel also says it is leading the way as an innovator in carbon neutral steelmaking, “committed to transforming the way sustainable steel is produced.”
- The UK aims to be the first country in the world to have a circular economy in steel and aluminium – thereby minimising or eliminating the extraction of raw materials and the production of waste.
Using mezzanines to repurpose or convert existing buildings creates less “embodied carbon” impact – the carbon footprint of making materials and getting them to site – and is better for the environment than constructing new premises.
In fact, Will Hurst, managing editor of the Architect’s Journal magazine, has said: “Our throwaway building culture is one of the key reasons that UK construction has such an appalling carbon footprint. The planning system could make re-use of existing buildings the default.”
At Hi-Level Mezzanines we are helping our clients maximise use of their existing space by installing mezzanines that range from a single tier to four tiers, allowing them to expand without moving.
Minimising our mileage footprint
All Hi-Level company cars are 100% electric and we have charging points at our office. We have multiple installation teams around the country and always match projects to minimise travel to site. Deliveries are organised by grouping them together and we also deliver from source directly to site where possible, particularly on larger projects. Site visits are also planned together so the surveyor can tackle as many sites in a similar geography as possible.
Materials in our supply chain:
- We use 100% recyclable PVC floor tiles.
- Beams and columns are sourced through stockholders who buy from British Steel among others who have sustainability policies in place.
- Our most frequently used timber-decking solution is 38mm particle board. This is manufactured with a large percentage of recycled materials and carries certifications guaranteeing timber comes from responsibly managed forests.
- Our main joist supplier uses steel sections that can all be recycled, sends zero waste to landfill and has reduced in kWh/tonne figure by 10% in the last five years.
At Hi-Level Mezzanines we know we’re not perfect, but we’re proud of what we have achieved so far and our continued commitment to sustainability.
Hi-Level Mezzanines provides mezzanine floors of the highest quality in the industry, yet remaining competitively priced thanks to the expertise of our team of qualified structural engineers, innovative digital design process and advanced solutions.
For 30 years we have been creating space for amazing things to happen. Contact us today for more information at [email protected] or call 01730 237 190.